Add looping videos of your artistic universe to attract new listeners and fans with Spotify Canvas! The concept is simple: Canvas lets you create a short video loop for each of your songs on Spotify. This is a great tool to attract new listeners and increase your Spotify followers to boost your chances of being featured in playlists.
1. Why use Spotify Canvas?
Songs with Spotify Canvas looping videos are proven to attract more attention on Spotify. The numbers speak for themselves: when listeners see a Canvas, they are more likely to continue listening (+5% on average compared to the control group), share the track (+145%), add it to their playlists (+20%), save the track (+1.4%) and visit your Spotify for Artists profile page (+9%).
Spotify Canvas can also bring you listeners outside of Spotify. When you or a listener shares your track from the Spotify app in Instagram stories, your Canvas will loop in the background of the story, along with details of the track and a link for fans to “Listen on Spotify.”
2. How do you access Spotify Canvas to create your mini video?
Spotify Canvas is accessible from your Spotify for Artists page. If you don’t have a Spotify for Artists profile yet, go ahead and make one! It’s a great tool for artists to pitch their songs directly to Spotify playlists, customize their artist page, link social networks, embed a bio, upload photos, etc.
Are you trying to promote your music?
Send your music on Groover and contact the best media and pros of the music industry ⬇️
3. Some tips for creating your Spotify Canvas: visuals, format, content
1. The choice of visuals and the format of the video sequence
Choose video sequences where you don’t speak, sing, or rap. As Canvas are 3 to 8 seconds maximum, there is no point in trying to synchronize the video with the lyrics.
Also think about who owns the visuals you want to share. Preferably use your own video content or make sure you have the rights.
The Canvas format on Spotify is specific and must follow a few rules:
- 9:16 ratio
- .mp4 file or even .jpeg if you prefer the visual to be static (but we recommend using a video)
- Video of 3 to 8 seconds maximum
All of Spotify’s tips for creating your Canvas are detailed here.
A little tip: the time limit is 8 seconds max! We advise you to try to make it last 7 seconds to avoid bugs on the download tool 😉
2. Let the images speak for themselves
Don’t be tempted to add your artist name or song title onto the visual. Your listeners already have access to this information directly on Spotify.
Also be aware that Spotify bans promotional Canvas. The idea is to illustrate your music and make it more visual to immerse your listeners and fans directly into your world.
3. Pace of the video
Don’t cut up your video too much as it might disrupt the listening experience. Use Canvas to take your listeners on a journey. Don’t make it hard for them to concentrate on listening to your music for the first time.
4. Think about the right sequence of your loops
You have 3 options when creating your canvas, yet these functions are only available when you go through the mobile application.
- Your video loops can run continuously.
- You can choose to create a real break.
- You can opt for a boomerang effect- probably the easiest way for an amateur videographer to make the visuals smoother.
5. Try to tell a story
Confusing content or complicated Canvas can be a disservice to you. Think about your musical project as a whole to clearly portray the universe you are creating. Think simple.
6. Make your Canvas consistent with your Spotify for Artists profile
Feel free to use this opportunity to change the images in your about section or even your profile photo and banner photo to match your latest Canvas visually. You can edit your profile directly in Spotify For Artists.
7. Feel free to modify your Spotify Canvas whenever you want
Nothing is set in stone with the Canvas feature on Spotify so you can change your visuals at any time. It only takes an hour for your new Canvas to be visible on Spotify.
8. Use your Spotify Canvas to express yourself
Has a recent current event effected you and is related to your music? If one of your songs seems appropriate, you can edit your Canvas to address relevant news and share it on your social networks.
Spotify Canvas allows you to showcase your music in a visual way and engage your listeners. We highly recommend using this tool on Spotify For Artists!
- Spotify for Artists: The Ultimate Guide to Boost Your Streams
- How to Get On Spotify Playlists?
- Why Get Onto Independent Spotify Playlists to Boost Your Streams
- How Do I Get Featured on Spotify’s Editorial Playlists?
- How Much Do Artists Get Paid on Spotify? – Loud & Clear
- How to Get More Spotify Streams Without Cheating: 7 Tips to Stand Out From the Crowd