Do you want to promote your music and find new opportunities? Music contests are a great way to highlight emerging artists in the local music scene, and they can present the perfect opportunity to show off your talent and ambition! After all, there is no excuse not to go for it.
Whether you’re a folk, rock, electronic or hip-hop artist looking to play at an event or a festival, film a live session, win a studio session or various prizes to build your project – there’s something for everyone!
Here is a selection of the most current and exciting music contests for you – so start applying now! ✌️
Are you looking for a booker to play live and help you apply for contests?
Send your tracks on Groover and contact the best bookers, labels, media outlets and music professionals – and apply to exclusive music contests. Guaranteed feedback in less than 7 days!
A music contest is missing from this guide and you want us to add it?
Contact us at email@example.com
Play at SXSW – Groover x Disco x Amuse Event – Austin 🇺🇸🔥
The SXSW Music Festival brings together artists, industry professionals, and music lovers from around the world to make connections, elevate their careers, and celebrate the magic of live music – from legendary performers to the most exciting new talents. ✨
Apply to play / mix at the event organized on March 13th by Groover x Disco x Amuse at SXSW Music Festival in Austin, TX – one of the BIGGEST MUSIC EVENTS in the U.S. 🤩 Take this lifetime opportunity and send us your best track!
- Application conditions: live acts & DJ sets / open to many genres – except hardcore ones / for US-based bands/artists and artists located/travelling near Austin around March 13th.
- Schedule: open call from February 13th to March 3rd, 2024.
🔥 UPDATE 🔥 On top of the event on March 13th, we’ve also partnered up with Ridiculous Biz and unlocked 1 additional slot for an artist and/or DJ to play at their Ridiculous Boat Cruise on March 11th, at the Dockside Lounge 🙌 This means more opportunities for you to be selected!
Lo-Fi Contest / Get added to the compilation 🌎
Groover and Chill Space Records are partnering up to create the lo-fi compilation “Midnight Grooves with a Sloth”. Actively promoted via Chill Space Records & Groover’s networks, it’s THE best compilation to relax and chill during these nostalgic late nights…🌃
Curated with great care, this compilation brings together tomorrow’s top talents! Apply now for a chance to be added, and shine light on your project 🌟
- Application conditions: for artists from any country / genres accepted: lo-fi, chill out, ambient, lo-fi instrumental hip-hop, chill beats.
- Schedule: open call from February 9th to March 9th, 2024.
Villa Albertine – Jazz & New Music Program 🇺🇸
Villa Albertine promotes and supports artistic performances and creations through the Jazz & New Music program – encouraging collaborations between French and American artists.
Since it’s creation in 2004, the program has granted $4 million in funds to support over 300 projects in jazz and contemporary music, resulting in 65 recordings and more than 700 concerts, commissions, and residencies in France and the United States. Apply now to join the 2024 edition!
- Schedule: open call until February 29th, 2024.
Ireland Music Week – Artist Applications 2024 🇮🇪
Ireland Music Week is a crucial event in Irish artists’ career development, allowing them to showcase their talent to top-class international music industry delegates – bookers, labels, publishers, managers & agents – and new fans alike.
50 Irish acts will have the chance to showcase in October, with the line-up being announced in June. Are you ready to take the next step and bring your music career to the international stage? Apply now! ⚡️
- Schedule: applications will close on Monday March 25th 2024 at 5pm.
It’s your turn! And besides applying to music contests – get in touch with music professionals directly on Groover to get your music heard ⬇️
ENDED MUSIC CONTESTS
Breaking Sound x Groover Showcase – Jan 24 – NYC 🇺🇸
Groover is partnering with Breaking Sound to organize 2 new showcases in NYC, to showcase some emerging artists/bands in the NYC music scene! Groover will select 2 acts to play at Broadway (NYC) on March 20th and at Oppa Bistro (NYC) on March 21st. The winners will share the stage with other emerging artists and play in front of their followers!
Apply now for the opportunity to play at this great event, it’s the perfect occasion to gain visibility! ✨
- Application conditions: folk, rock, pop, r&b, funk music / live band (preferably with drums) with a max 5 people on stage or acoustic format.
- Schedule: open call from January 23 to February 13, 2024.
Focus Wales 2024 – Wrexham 🇬🇧
Groover & FOCUS Wales, one of the UK’s leading showcase festivals, are partnering again this year to offer 3 artists the opportunity to play at the prestigious festival next May 2024!
Apply for the opportunity to play at Wales’ biggest music showcase taking place in Wrexham in front of music industry professionals from all around the world! 🎸
- Application conditions: for UK-based artists / genres accepted: indie, pop, folk, rock, hip-hop soul, r&b, funk, jazz, afrobeats…
- Schedule: open call from January 29 to February 19, 2024 at 11am UK time.
Play at “Showcase” by Different Planet – London 🇬🇧
Different Planet is seeking emerging/unsigned artists for their acoustic music event: “Showcase”. It features the best of emerging singers and singer/songwriters and takes place at The Spice of Life, Soho.
Stripped back, “Showcase” is an acoustic session that is all about introducing audiences to emerging artists and keeping the listening experience intimate; backing is either by guitar or keyboard/ piano. Keeping it live; no material is performed with backing tracks. Standards/covers or originals… Folk, Pop, Soul/RnB, Jazz, Showtunes. It’s all good! 🎷
- Application conditions: for UK-based artists / suitable for soloists, duos or trios / genres accepted: pop, folk, jazz, soul, r&b…
- Schedule: open call from January 22nd to February 18th, 2024.
Play at Tomorrow’s World – London 🇬🇧
On Da Beat present Tomorrow’s World. An event full of dynamic panel discussions, live music & networking curated by a South London based organisation that is representative of local youth voices.
Meet them at Brixton Village on the 27th of Feb for Tomorrow’s World to experience how culture and technology are empowering our industry. The event will feature showcases, Tech Industry Talks, product demos, informal networking, and the chance for winning artists to travel the world as AR holograms with Popins.
- Application conditions: for London-based artists/ 2 will be selected: 1 live act & 1 DJ set / genres accepted: afrobeats, jazz, house, dancehall, latin music, r&b, rap…
- Schedule: open call from January, 30 to February, 18 (11pm UK time)
Glastonbury Festival – Emerging Talent Competition – UK 🇬🇧
Glastonbury Festival launched is 2024 Emerging Talent Competition – supported by PRS for Music and PRS Foundation. The competition gives new UK and Ireland-based acts of any musical genre the chance to compete for a slot on one of the main stages at this year’s Festival.
The winners of the free-to-enter competition will also be awarded a £5,000 Talent Development prize from PRS Foundation to help take their songwriting and performing to the next level. Two runners-up will also each be awarded a £2,500 PRS Foundation Talent Development prize.
- Schedule: open call from 29th January to 5th February 2024 (5pm UK time).
Safe & Sound Showcase – Wreckroom Contest
Are you an emerging artist looking to play at a house party in NYC? Would you like to form part of a 3 act line-up for a gig in Clinton Hill, playing solo or with your musicians? Well, this is for you!
Groover is partnering up with Wreckroom – an Entertainment Media & Technology company based in the United States which aims to push boundaries and build community through a series of creative experiments – to showcase artists in the NYC music scene at the Safe & Sound Social event. Safe & Sound Social is an event happening at Safe & Sound Studios in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, that aims to bridge the gap of the creative community by providing a fun, meaningful, and inspiring house party.
SXSW Music Festival Showcase
Open Call for the opportunity to perform at the SXSW Music Festival, taking place from March 13-18, 2023. As a showcasing artist, you’ll gain unparalleled access to an audience of industry professionals, international media and new fans.
- One official SXSW showcase performance is guaranteed per invited act.
- Showcase slots run an average of 40 minutes (some exceptions may apply).
- Showcases will take place between March 13-18, 2023.
- SXSW does not provide artist backline or cover travel and accommodation expenses.
Music Showcase Applications are open to:
- All music genres
- Artists from around the world
- Signed and unsigned artists
- Early Deadline: August 12, 2022
- Final Deadline: October 7, 2022
- All deadlines end at 11:59pm PT.
Joshua Tree Music Festival Artists Submissions
Founded in 2003, the bi-annual (May & Oct) Joshua Tree Music Festival is held at the gateway to the world-renowned National Park. JTMF is a resource-generating powerhouse of passionate creativity, community empowerment, and arts education for all ages. A family inclusive global music experience in the magical Mojave.
The festivals are family friendly events, creating an all ages audience. The eclectic line-ups draw a diverse crowd of discerning live music fans who love the outdoors. The National Park is one of the premier rock climbing destinations in the world (2 million visitors annually). People come to climb and dance. Many come for the festival and stay for a vacation of camping and adventure in the park.
The Great American Song Contest is open to songwriters, lyricists & music composers worldwide.
This annual event is designed for amateur and semi-pro songwriters only. Individuals who earn over $10,000 annually from song publishing royalties are not eligible.
- An entry fee of $35 is required for each entered song. (Note: There is a limit of 10 songs per songwriter per year.)
- If the same song is entered in multiple categories, each requires a separate entry fee.
- This year’s submission deadline is November 17, 2022. Online submissions must be received by this date. Mailed submissions must be postmarked by this date.
- All entrants will be sent an entry confirmation and judging schedule when their songs are received and processed.
The New Colossus Festival is a celebration of live music focusing on emerging artists from around the world. We take a slightly different approach and prioritize the artists’ careers by putting together a comprehensive series of showcases targeted to the music industry, press, and local fans. We have also built this annual event as a space for likeminded artists to connect with one another because we all know that is where the magic really happens.
Please keep in mind, unlike a traditional gig, this is a showcase which is a 30min set with the main purpose of being seen by “buyers” such as industry: booking agents, record label A&R, managers, sync licensing, and fans.
- Application deadline: November 1, 2022.
SongDoor’s is a song contest that aims to:
- Provide a channel for new original music to be heard
- Provide useful tools to improve writers’ skills.
All songs are fully screened by industry professionals with real connections to music publishing, producers, artists and labels, and are judged by industry pros who have worked with Neil Young, Justin Timberlake, Tony Bennett, Britney Spears, Kenny Rogers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Fray, Train and dozens of other notable artists.
Each year, entrants are given a free unlimited-access trial to SongU.com plus a free songwriting software program (compatible with either Mac or Windows).
Prizes: The total awards purse is valued at more than $40,000 and includes a full-band session demo (recorded and produced at Sixteen Ton Studio), a single-song publishing contract, exclusive pitching and networking opportunities, a comprehensive assortment of top-shelf songwriting software and more. The competition is open to amateurs and professionals worldwide.
Application deadline: November 15, 2022.